Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Day 2 - Plyometrics

Plyometrics (also known as "plyos") is a type of exercise training designed to produce fast, powerful movements, and improve the functions of the nervous system, generally for the purpose of improving performance in sports. Plyometric movements, in which a muscle is loaded and then contracted in rapid sequence, use the strength, elasticity and innervation of muscle and surrounding tissues to jump higher, run faster, throw farther, or hit harder, depending on the desired training goal. Plyometrics is used to increase the speed or force of muscular contractions, providing explosiveness for a variety of sport-specific activities. Plyometrics are useful for several sports - notably soccer, rugby, basketball, track and field athletics, racket sports, parkour, martial arts, skateboarding among others. - Wikipedia


Day 2 took me out. I was K.O.ed but I still managed to last the entire hour! What I realized today is that Plyometrics is great for my balance (confirmed by Dr. Shirin) since my balance is still a bit off.


Something I certainly like about P90X is that Tony Horton really lets you workout at YOUR OWN PACE while letting you modify the exercises as per your ability. Having torn a knee ligament earlier in college I was always a bit uncomfortable with Plyo since playing volleyball gives my knees a lot of trouble so you can certainly imagine how uneasy I'd be with jumping around like a madman!


Tony Horton is FIFTY YEARS OLD but he looks 30. I'm almost 32 but I look 45ish. Something's not right here. Hope Tony can help me! 
Tony Horton


Here's what another blogger said about Tony Horton:


"Look at the smugness oozing from that damned demon cyborg. I say “demon cyborg” because I am convinced, without a doubt, that Tony Horton is not a human. No, no. There’s no way possible that a real human being could even come up with something like P90X. Tony has been sent from some tiny star planet on the outer fringe of our galaxy to ruin my life or at the very least, my body. And after just the second day of P90X, I have a feeling he’s going to succeed." - By TJ Johnson (http://www.mamapop.com/2010/07/tony-horton-p90x-dead.html).

I have pain allover my body from yesterday's workout. But I'm already looking forward to tomorrow's workout. Word of advice- warm up as much as possible before Plyo. I do some extra stretch exercises before beginning my Plyo routine because one can easily injure their knee, ankle or tendons in the thighs or calves. I did start sipping on Gatorade during the grueling workout routines. But I find myself drinking more clear water than Gatorade. One main reason is because clear water tastes a hell lot better & there aren't any additives or food color that can give you cancer a few years later. Now I know that my peeps in Bangladesh can't get hold of Gatorade. But there has to be some form of water soluble drink out there that can get you essential nutrients that you lose during exercise.


I have also begun taking some multi-vitamins and vitamin-E. But I would have done that regardless of P90X.


No comments:

Post a Comment